Friday 22 July 2011

Ice Ice Iceland

It’s been two weeks since we were here, but we were onto Iceland after New York for a quick stop over before hitting the real world in London. Here in Reykjavic, Iceland we enjoyed luxuries such as toilets flushing normally, no inch big gaps down the side of every toilet door hinge and I even managed to walk around the entire city without a single person asking me for money. There were no crazy’s preaching to themselves and/or the world about the end being nigh or whatever either – bonus.

We arrived early in the morning on Wednesday and waited around for our bus to take us to the famous Blue Lagoon. The most amazing outdoor mineral spa greeted us when we arrived and our exhausted bodies melted into the salted water for a few hours. We tried the mineral face masks, the sauna (yes I managed to hit my head on the low ceiling as I walked out in a daze), and I don’t know about the others but I fell asleep floating in the hot water a fair few times. We headed into the city for a quick look around and a meal then back to our hostel for a bit of a rest. I decided to go for a walk that evening and spent a couple of hours wandering around the quaint city of Reykjavic. Iceland is only populated by 320,000 people so their capital is tiny, more like a sleepy village. In the 24 hour sunlight it was hard to fall asleep but I managed to crawl into bed at about 1am and sleep for a few hours before getting up early and seeing more of the city in the morning and doing a spot of shopping (I will head back to Iceland one day when I am super rich for a weekend of shopping and partying – Icelanders know how to dress and drink amazingly well apparently). In the afternoon I had booked myself on the Golden Circle tour that visited such places as the Pingveller Lake that has amazing diving and is so clear that you can see all the way to the bottom (140m). Divers often get the same feeling as being afraid of heights when diving because of this and freak out – I want to try. Next was Logberg where the priminister’s speaking post (or something more important than that that escapes me right now) was. A quick look at a giant water fall and a geyser and then another crater type thing and I was back to Reykjavic for the evening. Iceland is a very baron rocky country, very young geologically but is slowly sinking back into the ocean (photos below) – or the air, depending on the level of volcanic activity (they have over 3000 earthquakes a year also).

So, very early the next morning we set off to the airport in search of the UK, it was 430am and we had to wear our sunglasses on the drive, but we were excited about the next part of our adventure. Summary to follow! xx

 Blue Lagoon 


Reminded me of Dannevirke - you know, the Vikings and all..


So I was walking through the city and you would hear this massive noise and I would look up in search of what it was and then all of a sudden out of the clouds a plane would fly through and it was literally right above me because the domestic airport is pretty much in the middle of Reykjavic.


Main Street Reykjavic. Sleepy sleepy.


The church on the top of the hill.


View down to the harbour from the Bell Tower in the church. Note to self: 12pm is not an ideal time to climb a bell tower of a church.


First Speakers Post


Waterfall


Geysir 


430am and we are off to the airport (it was sunny but still cold! 18degrees the day before was unheard of, 14degrees is average summer temp)


We made it - Heathrow Terminal 1,2,3 tube stop, London!


No comments:

Post a Comment